[SeaBIOS] POST Memory Manager emulation in SeaBIOS

Darmawan Salihun darmawan.salihun at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 10:32:06 CEST 2011

Hi guys,

I'm currently debugging a generic PCI Option ROM
(seen as legacy ROM since there is no PnP header).
This is the setup:

a. The Option ROM "merged" to coreboot binary as CBFS component
(./cbfstool  <option-rom-path> genroms/option-rom.rom raw)

b. SeaBIOS would recognize the Option ROM and execute it. The execution
seems to take place after most PnP option ROM.

c. Coreboot+Seabios is running inside qemu.

d. The entire process (qemu with coreboot as "BIOS") is debugged remotely
using IDA Pro. The connection is through GDB remote debugging "plugin"
in IDA Pro.
Therefore, from Qemu persepective, its being debugged remotely by GDB.

Now, my question:
In this particular option ROM, a call to POST Memory Manager (PMM) is made
to allocate 64KB of memory. What "reaction" SeaBIOS would carry-out to
such request?
I've trying to debug this call but nothing seems to happen as I see it
from inside IDA Pro.

Any clues? or where should I peek in the source code?

TIA,

Darmawan