[SeaBIOS] Booting from USB cdrom device doesn't work

Sven Schnelle svens at stackframe.org
Sat Oct 15 22:08:48 CEST 2011

Hi Kevin,

On 10/15/2011 09:43 PM, Kevin O'Connor wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 06:46:22PM +0200, Sven Schnelle wrote:
>> Hi List,
>>
>> i have seabios running on a Thinkpad T60 with coreboot and seabios as
>> Payload. When trying to boot from a USB cdrom, i get the following errors:
>>
>> Booting from DVD/CD...
>> wait_td error - status=184007ff
>> uhci_send_bulk failed
>> USB transmission failed
>
> The device has responded with a STALL condition.  Unfortunately, the
> current SeaBIOS code doesn't have the ability to clear the stall.  I'm
> not sure why the device responds with a stall, but SeaBIOS should be
> able to handle it.
>
> Do other USB devices work okay?

Yes. I've investigated that a bit further in the meantime, and the
problem is that seabios doesn't send a START STOP UNIT command before
accessing the device. As soon as i send that command, i can successfully
boot from that USB stick.

I'll prepare a patch for that, but i'm not sure wether i should issue
a TEST UNIT READY command before, or if it's safe to just send that
command in any case.

Regards,

Sven