[SeaBIOS] VGA Option ROM not set up correctly when loaded by coreboot and not SeaBIOS

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Tue Mar 19 18:37:53 CET 2013

Paul Menzel wrote:
> > http://www.coreboot.org/SeaBIOS#coreboot - do not load the vga
> > option rom in coreboot - do it in seabios.
>
> Yes, thanks. Though I assumed »best results« would mean

Please don't assume. When something is unclear, creating an
opportunity for assumption, then documentation and/or code should be
improved, so that no assumption is needed.

> not that Linux does not find the ROM at all. If that is a known
> issue, a note should be added to the Kconfig description

It's quite natural since coreboot is not equipped to run option ROMs;
it does not have any BIOS interrupt services, which option ROMs
typically rely on, since option ROMs are a BIOS concept.

> or if coreboot is chosen as a target, then the Option ROM option
> should be enabled automatically, right?

Which option ROM option are you talking about? Please be specific,
use the CONFIG_ name. And since discussion now covers both coreboot
and SeaBIOS it helps further if you specify which project the
particular option is in.

There are use cases both for coreboot running option ROMs and SeaBIOS
running option ROMs, regardless of how SeaBIOS was started.

I tend to agree that coreboot should default to not run option ROMs,
and possibly the SeaBIOS configuration generated by the coreboot
build files should enable SeaBIOS running the option ROM in that
case, but it's not trivial to find a way that makes sense for every
case. Feel free to think about it and propose an improvement, it can
probably be better than it is at the moment.

//Peter