[SeaBIOS] "bootorder" documentation change

Maxime de Roucy maxime.deroucy at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 19:10:03 CET 2015

Le lundi 07 septembre 2015 à 10:36 -0400, Kevin O'Connor a écrit :
> I don't understand what Maxime is reporting (via the documentation
> patch), nor what Matt's patch above fixes.  Could someone provide a
> description of the problem/feature?

Lets say you have one SATA drive and one USB drive connected to your
board.
The SATA drive is blank (no data on it).
The USB drive contain a bootable operating system.

You configure the bootorder to :
    SATA
    USB
    PXE
    HALT

In this situation the user imagine SeaBIOS boot to USB as it will fail
to boot from SATA… that's not the case.
SATA and USB are both treat as IPL_TYPE_HARDDISK and when SeaBIOS list
the devices it only keep the highest priority device of each type.

SATA and USB are both present and SATA has a higher priority than USB.
PXE is another type (I don't know which one).

So SeaBIOS only keep SATA and PXE. When it fail to boot from SATA as
the drive is blank it fallback to PXE instead of USB as the user
expected.

The Matt patch (as I understand it) add an USB type. SeaBIOS will still
only keep the highest priority device of each type but as SATA and USB
belongs to different type they will be kept. SeaBIOS will boot from USB
when it fail to boot from SATA.
--
Regards
Maxime de Roucy