[SeaBIOS] [Question] Debug Seabios by GDB with Qemu

Liu, Jing2 jing2.liu at linux.intel.com
Mon Jan 29 07:18:45 CET 2018

Hello,

I am using Seabios for qemu startup, and interested in the debugging by
GDB to see how the bios works.

Currently, I do it as https://www.seabios.org/Debugging said but met
some problems so that couldn't move on. :(
Could someone give some pointers on what I missed or have to do to
enable the gdb debugging?

Note:
Arch: x86_64 PC
CONFIG_DEBUG_SERIAL is enabled.
CONFIG_RELOCATE_INIT is disabled.

1.  After Qemu starts, I run "gdb out/rom32seg.o" in another session,
and do "target remote localhost:1234", it warns me that
"Selected architecture i386 is not compatible with reported target
architecture i386:x86_64". But I didn't find any 64bit rom.

2. I can't set any breakpoints (e.g. maininit), because "Function
maininit not defined". So where does seabios put the symbol table? And
how to break the seabios functions when qemu starts?

Looking forward to your response!
Thanks,
Jing