[SeaBIOS] [Qemu-devel] Re: SMBIOS strings

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Wed Jun 2 01:57:04 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 08:05:26AM +0200, Jes Sorensen wrote:
> On 06/01/10 07:34, Markus Armbruster wrote:
> >> Maybe it could trigger the Windows activation process?
> > Isn't that testable?
> The problem there is that the number of possible combinations to test is
> endless. I think older versions of windows are far more prone to such
> problems than newer ones.

Lets select a handful of OS versions that we think are important and
then test.  If the smbios changes cause a problem, then we can
document that fact and be careful going forward.

I'm leery about reverting improvements on the premise that some guest
could possibly observe the change and be finicky about it.  That way
leads to stagnation.  (For example, for all I know, the recent smbios
memory layout bug fix could cause a Windows activation.)

BTW, is there a known issue with activation on the latest qemu?

-Kevin