[SeaBIOS] ohci bulk?

Avi Kivity avi at redhat.com
Mon Nov 22 16:45:49 CET 2010

On 11/22/2010 04:49 PM, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:

>>> On real hardware seabios could emulate this using SMM.
>>>
>>> On virtual hardware qemu could emulate this so we don't need SMM
>>> support in kvm.
>>
>> How hard would it be to add SMM support into kvm?
>
> Dunno.  As I understand it the biggest issue is that kvm needs
> complete instruction emulation for big real mode as intel vmx supports
> protected mode only.  Correct Avi?

Correct.  Note, it's likely that we have almost everything covered
already, so it's mostly testing (beyond implementing SMM entry/exit).

However, we have a large deployed base with no SMM support, so we need a
fallback if SMM is not available.  It's also tricky to probe for working
SMM, I don't think there's a cpuid bit for that.