[SeaBIOS] Status of SeaBIOS VGA bios.

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Wed Oct 26 15:00:40 CEST 2011

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 02:06:53AM +0100, Julian Pidancet wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 1:26 AM, Kevin O'Connor <kevin at koconnor.net> wrote:
> > It should work.  Ideally, someone would complete the port of the "lgpl
> > vgabios".  This involves translating the remaining 16bit assembler to
> > C code and then doing lots of testing on the result.
>
> I havn't tried to run the ROM yet. Could you be more precise about
> what works (or what is supposed to be working), what's not, and what
> exactly remains to be translated ? I'd like to make an idea of the
> amount of work required to have a ROM equivalent to vgabios.

If you look at the "lgpl vgabios" source - I ported vgabios.c but did
not convert vbe.c nor clext.c.  As for what works - I was able to
launch qemu and run guests.  However, the vbe extensions weren't
present, and so most guests wouldn't attempt to increase resolution or
they had other features not available.  Also, I was seeing the grub
screen come up as black-and-white - which may be due to lack of VBE,
but may also have been due to a bug somewhere in the port.

-Kevin