[SeaBIOS] SeaBIOS as EFI application

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Thu Nov 8 22:17:38 CET 2012

On 11/07/12 15:15, Peter Stuge wrote:
> Thorsten Glaser wrote:
>>> Thanks for voluntering to do it. ;)
>>
>> I’m writing bootloaders for BIOS, not for EFI¹.
>> Which is why I’m asking in the first place
>
> Noone else is working on it. Significant contributions to SeaBIOS
> come from the virtualization community, where EFI is not very
> pervasive.

Well, efi support _is_ a hot topic in the virtualization community too.

But on a virtual machine it is dead simple to switch the firmware, so we
can load either seabios or ovmf[1] as needed.  There is little need to
stack seabios as csm onto ovmf to build a single firmware image which
then can handle both efi and bios guests.

cheers,
  Gerd

[1] http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/tianocore/index.php?title=OVMF